Links I Liked

Please take the reader survey – FP2P is changing fast and we need your feedback and advice!

Thanks Suzie Doore for this much-needed reminder that some British people are still managing to retain a sense of humour

Keynesian development in action. Give Directly dropped a massive stimulus package of cash transfers on rural Kenya — and transformed the economy. Nice write up of some very impressive research

Story of the legendary 1981 Lesotho concert by Hugh Masakela and Miriam Makeba, both at that point 20 years in exile from their native South Africa. Cue massive party. Now the album is being reissued

How to use the law for social change

But climate change overshadowed everything else last week (I’m not allowed to say much about the UK elections, which is probably just as well)

Best soundbite so far from the Spanish climate change summit?  Petteri Taalas from the World Meteorological Organisation says 5% of the world’s GDP goes to fossil fuel subsidies, when that money could “solve” the climate crisis. ht Rebecca Herbert.

And while we’re on the climate, take a tour of CO2 since 800 thousand years ago. ht Kris Karnauskas

And UNCTAD put out this video (6m) calling for a Global Green New Deal. Shorter, tweetable version here

Subscribe to our Newsletter

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please see our Privacy Policy.

We use MailChimp as our marketing platform. By subscribing, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to MailChimp for processing. Learn more about MailChimp's privacy practices here.

Comments

One Response to “Links I Liked”
  1. Pete

    Fossil fuel subsidies, as described by the IMF, include all the pollution costs, so by definition it should be enough money to fix the problem. Their paper says only 7% of the subsidies which they identify are actual supply cost subsidies to make the fuels cheaper. The other 93% of the subsidy is not actually money that exists and can be used elsewhere, instead it is mainly environmental debt and damage. I would love it if politicians put 5% of GDP into preventing the climate emergency, but I find it misleading to imagine this can be found by cutting subsidies.

    If the cost of fossil fuels included environmental and other costs identified by the IMF the price to customers would rise enormously, coal would be approx 3 times more expensive, petrol and diesel about 50% more (percentages vary by country). I don’t know if politicians would be able to do that.

    The IMF say: “By component, underpricing for local air pollution is still the largest source (48 percent in 2015), while that for global warming is similar to earlier estimates (24 percent), followed by broader environmental costs of road fuels (15 percent), undercharging for general consumption taxes (7 percent) and for supply costs (7 percent).”

    I found the paper very interesting:
    https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2019/05/02/Global-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies-Remain-Large-An-Update-Based-on-Country-Level-Estimates-46509

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.